Possible hurricane poses threat to NASA’s Artemis moon launch plans


NASA is urgent forward towards one other try to launch the Artemis 1 moon rocket on its leak-delayed maiden flight Tuesday whereas carefully monitoring the observe of an anticipated hurricane that threatens to convey excessive winds and heavy rain to the Florida Space Coast, officers stated Friday.

In the meantime, the Space Force Eastern Range, which oversees all army and civilian launches from Florida, granted a request from NASA to waive a time-consuming inspection of the rocket’s self-destruct batteries that will have required a roll again to the company’s Vehicle Assembly Building.

With the waiver in hand, and with engineers saying a fueling check Wednesday confirmed leaks within the rocket’s hydrogen feedline system are manageable, climate is the key constraint to getting the long-delayed Artemis 1 mission off the bottom.

092322-sls-padview.jpg
The Space Launch System rocket atop pad 39B on the Kennedy Space Center Friday afternoon. NASA engineers say the rocket can stand up to gusts of hurricane-force winds on the launch pad, however hopeful a threatening storm will spare the spaceport. Even so, the forecast for a launch alternative Tuesday is 80 p.c no-go.

NASA


The objective of the check flight is to ship an unpiloted Orion crew capsule on a protracted flight across the moon to assist pave the best way for the primary piloted launch in 2024 and a moon-landing mission within the 2025-26 timeframe.

But the Space Launch System rocket’s highway to launch has been rocky, and now the climate threatens extra delay.

The National Hurricane Center predicts a storm, often called tropical melancholy No. 9, will strengthen into a significant hurricane — Ian is the following obtainable title — within the subsequent few days, crossing western Cuba after which hitting the southwest coast of Florida simply south of Tampa.

The predicted observe exhibits the storm transferring to the northeast throughout the Florida peninsula, presumably bringing tropical storm drive winds or increased to the Kennedy Space Center, the place the SLS rocket sits uncovered atop pad 39B.

092322-track1.jpg
The venture path of Tropical Depression Nine as of 5 p.m. EDT Friday.

National Hurricane Center


While the $4.1 billion moon rocket is not going to be launched in excessive winds, Chief Engineer John Blevins stated it might safely endure gusts as excessive as 74 knots on the pad. And whereas the official forecast at the moment is 80% “no-go” for a launch Tuesday, it doesn’t violate NASA’s security constraints for remaining on the pad.

But if the forecast worsens, engineers might haul the SLS again to the safety of the Vehicle Assembly Building with about three days discover. NASA’s highly effective crawler-transporter headed again out to pad 39B Friday afternoon as a precaution. But rollback is a final resort, a transfer that seemingly would delay the rocket’s maiden flight by a number of extra weeks.

“Our plan A is to stay the course and to get launch off on September 27,” stated Mike Bolger, director of Exploration Ground Systems on the Kennedy Space Center. “We realize we also need to be really paying attention and thinking about a plan B.”

“If we were to (go with) plan B, we need a couple days to pivot from our current tanking test, or launch, configuration to execute a rollback and get back into the protection of VAB,” Bolger added. 

He stated the group deliberate to fulfill Friday night to debate the newest forecast “and we think we’re likely to make a decision no later than sometime tomorrow morning or very early afternoon” on tips on how to proceed.

“We’re good at the pad for winds up to 74 peak knots,” Bolger stated. “And for rollback, we’re looking for a forecast of sustained winds less than 40 knots. We’ll be keeping a close eye on it. More information is better, and I think in next 24 hours or so, hopefully we’ll get good news and we’ll stick with our plan A.”

Tom Whitmeyer, a senior supervisor at NASA Headquarters, downplayed climate issues, telling reporters “it’s not even a named storm, it’s a tropical depression, number nine. It’s very early in it, and some of the traces we’ve seen go to different directions and go with different speeds and different intensity.”

But the National Hurricane Center’s 5 p.m. EDT forecast stated the system is anticipated to maneuver “near or over western Cuba as a strengthening hurricane and then approach the Florida peninsula at or near major hurricane strength, with the potential for significant impacts from storm surge, hurricane-force winds and heavy rainfall.”

Friday marked 190 days for the reason that SLS rocket was first hauled out to pad 39B for what turned out to be the primary in a irritating sequence of fueling exams to resolve a wide range of technical issues and repeated bother with hydrogen leaks in quick-disconnect fittings the place the unstable propellant enters the bottom of the rocket.

After three tanking check makes an attempt, a roll again to the VAB for repairs and a fourth check on June 20, engineers hauled the SLS rocket again to the VAB a second time to hold out extra troubleshooting. The rocket was moved again out to the pad in mid-August for a launch try on the twenty ninth.

But two makes an attempt in a row have been referred to as off due to extra hydrogen points. That prompted launch pad repairs to interchange a suspect seal in an 8-inch hydrogen quick-disconnect becoming that leaked earlier.

During a tanking check Wednesday to confirm the restore, the becoming leaked once more, however engineers have been in a position to get it again right down to acceptable ranges utilizing decrease pressures and circulation charges.

The “kindler, gentler” fueling method was supposed to place much less stress on the {hardware}, and it labored. Engineers have been in a position to absolutely load the rocket and efficiently perform two essential exams of the core stage engine cooling system.

But NASA has but to hold the SLS countdown into its ultimate half minute, and climate apart, making all of it the best way to zero Tuesday might nonetheless show a problem. Any extra leaks or different points that may crop up must be handled in a shorter 70-minute launch window.

NASA has a backup launch alternative on October 2, however after that, the Artemis 1 mission seemingly would stand down till after NASA launches a recent crew to the International Space Station aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon. That launch at the moment is focused for October 3, climate allowing.

Leave a Comment